Friday 1 March 2013

The wait goes on


Within 50 points of the all time high


The DOW climbed to withing 50 points of its all time high before throwing in the towel and ending the day down. Worryingly this was on moderately high volume so it could be a sign that this is the end of the line. 



Over the past couple of days, I have been shedding shares that have not done so well without replacing them (LRAD, GVA, MSO, SOMX). This, together with earlier sales, has brought my cash holding up to 32%. So, deeds being more significant than words,  my outlook on the market would appear to be hopeful but cautious. I can't say more than that.

I have been making cakes over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday I made one to my own recipe that worked out rather well. It was based on a Jamaican fruit cake recipe that I found but was impractical because it had huge quantities of ingredients. I had also seen a recipe with wholemeal flour which I wanted to try so I linked the two together.

Jamaican fruit cake recipe

 

I mixed up 140gms of wholemeal self raising flour, 140 gms of sugar, 140gms of butter, two eggs and a generous teaspoon of baking powder. I used my Baymix (a sort of stick mixer) to blend these ingredients.

When all this was thoroughly mixed together I added about 150ml of wine, about 200ml of rum and a couple of desert spoonfuls of treacle. (My wife, it turns out, does not like the flavour of treacle so next time I will give it a miss.) The added liquid made the mixture a bit runny so I added some wholemeal flour to thicken it a little but not too much (say 50 gms). 

I added about 50 gms of cut up dried exotic fruit from Sainsbury's and similar amounts of cut up dates and walnuts and a peeled cored, and chopped apple. I mixed in the fruit and nuts with a fork and spooned the mixture into loaf tin with a silicon lining. I baked this in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for an hour. I checked with a skewer to make sure it was cooked through and then turned it out on a wire tray to cool. 

It is moist and delicious.

No comments: