Wednesday 7 September 2011

Did I say dull?

The indices are moving comfortably inside their channels but the movements are huge. FTSE is up 162 points (3%ish) and the Dow is up 204 points (almost 2%). Those bulls are there and am I glad I dumped my short ETFs yesterday. But I dumped some more as each market opened. I am learning to grab profits when I can. But I am not there yet. Not enough confidence in my judgement! I also relinquished most of my gold. That was a decision after the event but in these volatile markets you have to go with the flow.
I had another lovely lunch out today( Kempsford this time, where they have done a beautiful restoration of their church ceiling) So I set up my sale of short Dow ETF (DXD) before I went out. 
When I got home I found that silver looked promising, a nice bounce off a support line. I was too late to buy my favourite PHAG on the UK market so I went to the US market and bought AGQ a leveraged silver ETF. (PS It was only this morning I spotted that there is a resistance line that I need to take into account when planning my next move with silver. It is now included in the chart.)
I started the day 95% in cash, with the silver purchase cash dropped to 92% but precious metals is still down to 4%, the rest is my remaining shorts.
As for the market tomorrow, it could be up, it could be down. Inside the channel it's hard to tell.

No comments: