Saturday 14 January 2012

Currency trade

Successful currency trade
I have little to write about at present. It is a waiting game. The Dow crawls along the top of that wedge I drew a few days ago. It keeps threatening to move to the bottom edge but there are still too many buyers and the attempts to fall fail. I continue to keep my powder dry. The small volume spike is encouraging but far too small to suggest that capitulation has arrived.

Crawling along the edge
The rally in gold and silver was irresistible. Fatally irresistible as it turned out. I was drawn in that bit too late and am sitting on a small loss. I guess I will have to pull out if the fall continues. And especially if the market falls and precious metals fall with it.

I did make a bit of money by selling the Euro against the US Dollar on a spread bet. There is a strong downward trend and although I picked my moment badly I held fast and pulled out with a nice profit as the exchange rate plunged to a support level on the back of the downgrade of various European country credit ratings. Today's chart is different from usual. Each candle shows a four hour movement rather than the normal daily one.

I am reminded that with skill and care one can make money out of the Forex markets very quickly. But then the opposite is true too. I'm digging back into my notes from various Forex courses I attended and I will see what I can do.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hello Paul. I looked up your blog after reading your profile in the Self Trade newsletter. Well done on achieving a good consistent return.

I have become something of a trading addict over the past 21/2 years since I discovered charts. Previously, though I'd had a strong interest in the markets and had bought and sold shares quite often on "hunches" I knew nothing at all about the trading business. Somewhere inside my head was the idea that professional traders i heard about on mainstream media KNEW what price would do because they had special connections. The catalyst for me was one day I decided to refresh my ETF portfolio of gold, silver and oil every minute and discovered it varied by £2-300 up and down. (at the time I had £30K in the ETF's - all sold for profit but long before the gold rally...the story of my struggle!).
This led to a discovery of charts, learning the language etc, and going through an exciting quest of reading and research - ongoing today.
The biggest thing has been realising that my own psychology and attitudes is the block to being consistently profitable. If I sum up the tendency it is to be vigilant and disciplined for a few days, make good trades only, but take profit too quickly, then have a lapse in discipline which in one day costs me all the gains and usually a bit more. I guess I persevere partly because in trading there is no-one else to blame, no politics, networking, boss or customers. The buck stops with me and I have to face my demons!
I am endlessly curious as to why the professional financial community doesn't like to present itself to the public with the fact that the majority of trading is done primarily through reading price action, and not p/e and gdp reports. I noticed immediately from your blog how you use charts yet it wasn't mentioned in the self trade profile. Any thoughts on that?
I trade mainly spot fx £/$, from about 7am -11am, multiples of mini lots, having tried out various instruments I decided to stick with one and keep volume small until I had beaten my main demons. This will perhaps be the year!

I keep a trading journal of sorts online at http://thecannyman.blogspot.com/ and my email is andrewramponi(at) gmail.com

All the best
Andrew


A